Here's the one-hundred first issue of COSS Weekly, the global commercial open source (COSS) company category newsletter, brought to you every weekend by the team at OSS Capital, creators and stewards of COSS Community and Open Core Summit.
We deliver only the most fresh 😋 news from the previous week in COSS across: Funding, Content, Jobs, Liquidity and $COSS (Public Markets).
Last week saw $64.7M in funding for Diagrid, Meilisearch, Foxglove, and NocoDB (led by OSS Capital!), as well as conversations on open-source AI ecosystems, and exciting releases from Cal.com, Viam Robotics, and more!
- Diagrid, a distributed systems API, announced their $20M Series A led by Norwest Venture Partners and $4.2M Seed led by Amplify Partners. Link
- Meilisearch, a search engine component for websites and apps, announced their $15M Series A led by Felicis Ventures. Link
- Foxglove, a visualization and debugging tool for robotics, announced their $15M Series A led by Eclipse Ventures. Link
- NocoDB, an alternative to AirTable, announced their $10.5M Seed led by Decibel VC and OSS Capital. Link
- JJ: "Today, I'm VERY excited to share the story 👀 behind @OSSCapital's incredibly privileged founding seed investment in @NocoDB. 🔥😍 NocoDB is empowering ALL software users to become software creators through the power of open source! techcrunch.com/2022/10/11/no... 🧵 ..." Link
swyx 🌴: "🆕 How Open Source is eating AI https://t.co/HKdZouMIxZ The best delivery mechanism for AI is @GitHub + @GoogleColab + @Huggingface, not APIs. - The #Dreambooth example - What OSS does that Research doesnt - The 3 biggest issues of Open Source AI Let's think step by step:" Link
Emad: "@swyx @github @GoogleColab @huggingface Good piece, all of the models we have backed except stable diffusion have bee MIT released, eg OpenCLIP that took 1.2 million A100 hours. Business model is simple, scale and service like normal COSS but with some value add twists. Expanding TAM and standardisation key." Link
hardmaru: "Personal update: I joined @StabilityAI as head of strategy! I can see the creative energy unleashed when people collectively gain control of new transformative technologies like large generative models. I want to create a future where open-source 'foundation' models is the norm. https://t.co/wknvKYBUTi" Link
Mitchell Hashimoto: "How HashiCorp, Confluent, Databricks, CockroachDB got their first 1k community members by @patrickachase. My most interesting takeaway is how different OSS and communities were just ~10 years ago. I don't think these strategies would be as effective today. pchase.substack.com/p/how-th..." Link
swyx 🌴: "3/ What, exactly, gets "open sourced"? - Open Code - Open Infra - Open Data - Open Models - Open Weights - Open Interface - Open Prompts All of these can be closed/open as needed by ecosystem members. Humanity progresses the more of these we can keep open at once. https://t.co/LyuXlNMd3n" Link
COSS Community 🌏: "Here's the @HashiCorp investor day deck with loads of wisdom for COSS founders and builders: https://t.co/R9DRPjy1UO https://t.co/3WiauLzl60" [Link](https://twitter.com/HashiCorp/status/1579957521015767040)
Open Source Startup Podcast🎙: "E57 of the Open Source Startup Podcast is LIVE🎙 @amanda_robs & @tnachen talk with @lorenc_dan, Founder & CEO of software supply chain security co @chainguard_dev 💪 Check it out👇https://t.co/Lq1NQTNoS3" Link
swyx 🌴: "> setting out to challenge Airtable, the 10-year-old company recently valued at a whopping $11 billion The emergent rule of thumb for startups eating startups seems to be once you're past >$5b in valuation, there WILL be someone making an open source version of you https://t.co/PVSgbXrA9k" Link
Open Source Startup Podcast🎙: "E58 of the Open Source Startup Podcast is LIVE🎙 Check out @tnachen & @amanda_robs convo w/ @ovaistariq, Cofounder & CEO of developer data platform ⚡️@TigrisData⚡️ https://t.co/812g92q1V6" Link
COSS Community 🌏: ".@Figma ➡️ @penpotapp ✅ https://t.co/kQdFouyMPY" [Link](https://twitter.com/figma/status/1580702304184856576)
Ryan Hurst: "GitHub stars are often used as a barometer of the success of an OSS project. I think the real barometer should be usage. For example, @peculiar/webcrypto has over a million downloads a week and 10k dependent projects but only has 125 stars. #YouAreWhatYouMeasure https://t.co/d4f9abxeFj" Link
JJ: "The brilliant former Co-Founder/CTO of @MongoDB (from zero to $10B+ scale), @eliothorowitz, just unveiled public beta for his new startup @viamrobotics -- an open source robotics infra platform! Exciting work happening here.. check it out: https://t.co/MhXCHsWTTX" Link
Stack Overflow: "We sit down with @eliothorowitz, former CTO of @MongoDB, to discuss his new company @viamrobotics, a platform to make building robots as easy as coding smartphone apps. https://t.co/Fj9QfOmtU2 https://t.co/jdmggHuhwY" Link
Sid Sijbrandij: "Today is the 1 year anniversary since @GitLab went public. Here's an overview of how we prepped for our S-1 filing and setting the IPO process in motion. Thank you to everyone who helped us along the way! https://t.co/R0HLkJ4D1F https://t.co/0vWaWF7u4D" Link
JJ: ""Open Source Google" will be LLM driven... not based on traditional heavy indexing methods. Index driven search = data inefficient (Google keeps 3-4 copies of the entire internet necessitating millions of servers). LLM driven search = data efficient (no indexing required)." Link
- Thoma Bravo acquires ForgeRock for $2.3B. Link
- 6,747 jobs and 249 companies hiring! Link
- Diagrid: "We are beyond excited to announce: 🚀 The launch of Diagrid Conductor, a fully managed Dapr on Kubernetes service 🎊 A funding of $24.2M from @NorwestVP, @AmplifyPartners and @QuietCapital 💻 We're hiring for a new set of roles! Read all about it here: https://t.co/P28uUlkyQ3 https://t.co/bqFq8PL8Tw" Link
- Matt Mullenweg: "We at @automattic are on the @Newsweek Most Loved Workplaces this year, at #31 ❤️ newsweek.com/rankings/americ..." Link
$COSS markets down 5.91% last week
Latest $COSS markets snapshot below as of market close last Friday courtesy of Koyfin.