COSS Weekly, Issue #26: April 26th, 2021
Here's the twenty-sixth issue of COSS Weekly, the global commercial open source (COSS) company ecosystem newsletter, brought to you every week by the team at OSS Capital, creators and maintainers of COSS Community and Open Core Summit. Each week, we aggregate the latest major weekly news in COSS, including commentary across Funding, Content, Liquidity, Data and Public Markets.
Last week was action packed including $217.9M in new COSS funding announcements, Confluent S-1 (confidential) filing and Mapbox ($2B SPAC) IPO news, Grafana license changes, new rankings from Runa Capital, a Rapid7 open source acquisition and tons of awesome content! 🚀
💰 COSS Funding: $217.9M
- Digital Asset, creators of the open source DAML smart contract language, announced their $120M Series D led by 7RIDGE and Eldridge. Link
- Kyligence, the Apache Kylin company, announced their $70M Series D led by Shanghai Pudong Development Bank. Link
- Cape Privacy, creators of open source tools and products to help ML models run on encrypted data, announced their $20M Series A led by Evolution Equity. Link
- Charm, creators open source tools to make the software development command-line experience *glamorous*, announced their $3M Seed led by Cavalry. Link
- Athens Research, creators of an open source knowledge graph and note-taking app (Athens), announced their $1.9M Seed led by Caffeinated. Link
- Nhost, creators of a GraphQL-based open source Firebase alternative, announced their $3M Seed led by Nauta. Link
📚 COSS Content
- Sarah Catanzaro of Amplify Partners shared her views on open source and COSS startups with the ML Ops Community. Link
- Ali Ghodsi, co-founder and CEO of Databricks, was interviewed by Alex Wilhelm of Techcrunch on growing through the pandemic. Link
- Richard Li, co-founder and CEO of Ambassador, was interviewed on the Committing to Cloud Native podcast. Link
- Runa Capital released their Q1 2021 list of the fastest growing COSS startups by GitHub star growth metrics. Link
- Grafana, Loki and Tempo have been relicensed to AGPLv3. Link
💸 COSS Liquidity (M&A + IPOs)
- Rapid7 (COSS company behind Metasploit) acquired Velociraptor, the leading open source project in next generation endpoint monitoring, digital forensic investigations and cyber incident response. Link
- Confluent (the Apache Kafka company) confidentially filed their S-1 with the SEC. Link
- Mapbox announced a $2B SPAC led by Softbank. Link
📊 $COSS - Public Markets:
- The total value of all nine (9) public COSS companies is now $117B.
- Last week, $COSS was flat by 0.06%.
- Koyfin Market Data below as of public $COSS close on April 23rd, 2021