Here's the one-hundred thirty-first issue of COSS Weekly, the global commercial open source (COSS) company category newsletter, brought to you every weekend by the team at OSS Capital, creators and stewards of COSS Community and Open Core Summit.
We deliver only the most fresh 😋 news from the previous week in COSS across: Funding, Content, Jobs, Liquidity and $COSS (Public Markets).
Last week saw $169.6M in funding announcements from Tools for Humanity (Worldcoin), Elementl, WireMock, TinyCorp, Pionix, and Ballerine, the announcement of Open Core Summit 2023 (December 6th-7th in SF, early bird tickets now available!), the 20th anniversary of WordPress, and important conversations on the direction of AI.
💰 COSS Funding: $169.6M
- Tools for Humanity (Worldcoin), building a crypto and identity platform, announced their $115M Series C led by Blockchain Capital. Link
- Elementl, the company behind Dagster, announced their $33M Series B led by Georgian. Link
- WireMock, a tool for mock API development, announced their $6.5M Seed led by Ridge Ventures. Link
- TinyCorp, making AI software for chips, announced $5.1M in funding. Link
- Pionix, building an EV charging stack, announced their €5M Seed led by Pale Blue Dot. Link
- Ballerine, making open-source KYB infrastructure, announced their $5M Seed led by Team8. Link
📚 COSS Content
JJ: "The lie that VCs will have founders believe is that their capital is required to succeed. The truth is simple: Deliver vastly more trusted customer value than you capture. There exists no better mechanism for this than through open source." Link
Daniel Gross: "I added multiplex streaming in python-llm, my little "python-requests for LLMs" project. Helpful if making a UI that outputs both OpenAI and Anthropic at the same time. One line to implement. https://t.co/q01wk4r8If https://t.co/5w8KeDFEhJ" Link
Bailey Pumfleet: "@calcom is now verified on... email? I've just finished our verification process for BIMI, which now shows our logo on all outbound emails and displays a blue checkmark. This verifies we have the trademark to the logo and that we're a legitimate company. It's pretty thorough. https://t.co/Ub0a9fDJkz" Link
Open Source Startup Podcast🎙: "HUGE new release on the Open Source Startup Podcast with @rywalker of @astronomerio & @coredb_io 🎙 @tnachen and @amanda_robs dig into both company journeys, building commercial companies alongside @ApacheAirflow and @PostgreSQL & much more✨ https://t.co/aKcGwft8At" Link
JJ: "📣 Open Core Summit III is coming! 📣 Excited to bring together the COSS ecosystem again. Dates: December 6th (keynote day) & 7th (tracks). Location: Pier 27, San Francisco 🌁 Capacity: 1,000 in person, unlimited on livestream. Register here: https://t.co/7KmLT1T19x" Link
Tauri: "4 years ago today, Denjell & Lucas, the cofounders of Tauri, wrote C++ for the last time and decided that @rustlang would be the foundation for what today is the most popular of all #OSS projects of its age on @github written in Rust: https://t.co/ZhrGKOJHAd https://t.co/VsyMRwRXmu" Link
Scoutflo: ""As software has eaten the world, open source is eating software." Today, we've launched a platform dedicated to amplify high-quality commercial open source (COSS) products -- Scoutflo Atlas 🌐 COSS is the ideal next step to make the open source ecosystem sustainable 💙 https://t.co/kyKLlSmVTW" Link
Marc Seitz: "I made a bet with my wife 👀 Open-source DocSend is possible using only ▲ @Vercel Storage. ◆ Postgres for users and links ◆ Blob for files ◆ KV for link analytics 👉 If this tweet get 50 likes, I get to build it on the weekend instead of cleaning the house." Link
JJ: "We've been fortunate to have founders of @RedHat, @MongoDB, @elastic, @HashiCorp, @github, @cloudera, @huggingface, @grafana and MANY of the worlds leaders COSS builders speak in the past. Take advantage of early bird because we expect to sell out. 🔥" Link
Yann LeCun: "Well, obviously. Everyone wants open source base models except a few folks in Silicon Valley, a handful of AI doomers, and whoever they manage to scare in governments, https://t.co/reJmZxAMln" Link
Grafana: "Grafana community spotlight 💫 @patrickdevivo of @mergestat explains how to monitor CVE security vulnerabilities with Grafana, MergeStat, and OSV-Scanner. Today on the blog: https://t.co/T4CmWtVAlB" Link
Kevin McLaughlin: "Twitter previously used the commercial version of Redis' database software to support its Spaces service. But Twitter dropped Redis in early May, a few weeks before glitches plagued Ron DeSantis' presidential campaign launch event. More here w/@erinkwoo: https://t.co/dtHhQk6GfI" Link
JJ: "Unspoken fact: Many OpenAI employees deeply disagree with the fear-mongering propaganda narrative that cutting edge open models pose an existential threat to humanity. This is partially evidenced by the 400+ people who've formerly worked there (LinkedIn data)." Link
💸 COSS Liquidity (M&A + IPOs)
- Peer Richelsen 🗓🍊⚡️: "as an open source company, i like to buy other open source products. i wonder what kind of network effects this has in the future as more modern tech is build as open source" Link
🛠️ COSS Jobs
- 3,470 jobs and 280 companies hiring! Link
- Igor Kotua: "Ever wanted to work in open-source? Your chance is now! Introducing ossjobs by @CrowdDotDev - the job board exclusively for open-source opportunities. Discover exciting roles, make hires and contribute to open-source - all for free! https://t.co/s3uZ66VWo6" Link
📊 $COSS - Public Markets
- $COSS markets up 4.28% last week
- Latest $COSS markets snapshot below as of market close last Friday courtesy of Koyfin.