Here's the seventy-ninth issue of COSS Weekly, the global commercial open source (COSS) company category newsletter, brought to you every Sunday afternoon (Pacific Time) by the team at OSS Capital, creators and stewards of COSS Community and Open Core Summit.
We deliver only the most fresh 😋 news from the previous week in COSS across: Funding, Content, Jobs, Liquidity and $COSS (Public Markets).
Last week saw $546M in funding announcements from Aiven, HuggingFace, Supabase, HiveMQ, Komodor, CIQ, StackHawk, Novu, Predibase
and Socket, plus news from Cloudflare, Open AI, and NVIDIA, and major product milestones.
- Aiven, a cloud platform for open source infrastructure, announced their $210M Series D led by Eurazeo. Link
- HuggingFace, building tools for open and collaborative machine learning, announced their $100M Series C led by Lux Capital. Link
- Supabase, making an open-source cloud backend, announced their $80M Series B led by Felicis Ventures. Link
- HiveMQ, provider of the enterprise MQTT messaging platform, announced their €40M Series A led by Molten Ventures. Link
- Komodor, building tools for troubleshooting Kubernetes, announced their $42M Series B led by Tiger Global. Link
- CIQ, makers of the Rocky Linux distribution, announced their $26M Series A led by Two Bear Capital. Link
- Stackhawk, building developer-first security tools, announced their $20.7M Series B co-led by Sapphire Ventures and Costanoa Ventures. Link
- Predibase, an alternative to AutoML based on the open source Ludwig and Horovod projects developed at Uber, announced their $16.25M Series A led by Greylock. Link
- Novu, building an API for notification management, announced their $6.6M Seed led by Crane Venture Partners. Link
- Socket, building tools to secure the open source software supply chain, announced their $4.6M Seed led by Elad Gil. Link
Joseph Jacks (JJ) 🇺🇦: "Very exciting community taking shape @rustdesk --- Open source virtual / Remote Desktop infrastructure for everyone! Written in @rustlang 🦀 ⚡️ 💻 https://t.co/ifepFQfsNT" Link
Remix 💿: "Kent is excited to see you at #RemixConf in ~2 weeks. Over 300 attendees all there to learn, teach, and collaborate on building with the web platform. 31 amazing sponsors. Sweet swag, meals, and activities. Do you have your tickets yet? 💿🎟💿🎟 https://t.co/nO2bECqhA4 🎟💿🎟💿 https://t.co/Y0oSDTZeYF" Link
Joseph Jacks (JJ) 🇺🇦: "We @OSSCapital are working toward doing something pretty radical. As a fast growing $100M+ AUM VC firm, this is the first time in history the private equity industry this level of transparency will be unlocked..." Link
nixCraft: "Oh my. NVIDIA is now publishing Linux GPU kernel modules as open source with dual GPL/MIT license, starting with the R515 driver release. You can find the source code for these kernel modules in the NVIDIA Open GPU Kernel Modules repo on GitHub. https://t.co/G5Vpoi9dNh" Link
Thomas Kurian: "Today at #GoogleIO, we're thrilled to announce AlloyDB for PostgreSQL. Based on our decades of experience designing and managing database systems, it provides superior performance and scale for the most demanding enterprise workloads. https://t.co/yVTkQPSY5b https://t.co/GPVWypyGv7" Link
Stripe: "Today we're open-sourcing Markdoc, the content-authoring system that powers the Stripe docs. You can now freely build documentation, static pages, or tooling with the same tools we use: https://t.co/YPrlspQ3Ye. ✍️ https://t.co/JbfflVMaUZ" Link
Joseph Jacks (JJ) 🇺🇦: "Remember: Open source has infinite runway and zero burn rate." Link
Open Source Startup Podcast🎙: "🎙️New Open Source Startup Podcast Episode🎙️ Ft. @technosophos co-founder & CEO of @fermyontech⚡️ Great convo about WebAssembly & the next gen of cloud computing ☁️ https://t.co/FqWAKGPgbT" Link
Tauri: ""Das ist der hammer!" - 40K ⭐️on GitHub, which also basically puts us in the top 200 open-source projects on GitHub as well. A deep and heartfelt thankyou to all of our supporters! OSS Forever 💙 https://t.co/sH1voPGuis" Link
Hugging Face: "Last week @MetaAI publicly released huge LMs, with up to ☄️30B parameters. Great win for Open-Source🎉 These checkpoints are now in 🤗transformers! But how to use such big checkpoints? Introducing Accelerate and ⚡️BIG MODEL INFERENCE⚡️ Load & USE the 30B model in colab (!)⬇️ https://t.co/bITZ0z1P2z" Link
Armon Dadgar: "Amazing to reflect that @HashiCorp Series B was a $24M raise on a $95M post. We also had 6 products, multi-million revenues, huge community, and >100% growth rate. Recent raises of >$100M with stratospheric post-money valuations really are head scratchers." Link
Timescale: "⭐️⭐️ We hit 13,000 GitHub stars this week! ⭐️⭐️ Biggest thank you to everyone who's starred us, submitted issues and helped make TimescaleDB better. Haven't checked out our repo yet? You can find it 👇 https://t.co/s60p3uLiFt" Link
Fly: "Breaking: Litestream is now part of https://t.co/IEvUZCoxb8! Do you like SQLite? Do you like streaming replication? No? Read @benbjohnson's new post on the https://t.co/IEvUZCoxb8 blog anyway: https://t.co/vFcjA47Mha" Link
Mitchell Hashimoto: "https://t.co/uGRQ1VEXqo This is awesome and I'm happy to see it. Congrats to @benbjohnson this is a great outcome for a personal OSS project: funding with direct business impact (vs. pure patronage). Fly is probably currently my fav eng-oriented, newer startup." Link
- 10,344 jobs and 222 companies hiring! Link
$COSS markets down 4.80% last week
Latest $COSS markets snapshot below as of market close last Friday courtesy of Koyfin.