COSS Weekly, Issue #34: June 21st, 2021
Here's the thirty-fourth issue of COSS Weekly, the global commercial open source (COSS) company category newsletter, brought to you every Sunday afternoon (Pacific Time) by the team at OSS Capital, creators and stewards of COSS Community and Open Core Summit.
We deliver only the most fresh 😋 news from the previous week in COSS across: Funding, Content, Liquidity and $COSS (Public Markets).
Apologies for the slight delay this week! Happy Belated Father's Day to all!
Last week, Grafana Labs acquired Load Impact AB, a bootstrapped COSS company behind the popular K6 load testing tool! 👏
On the funding side, we witnessed an incredible $605M in new COSS funding announcements, the largest single week in COSS funding since the $1B Databricks Series G announced earlier this year in February. 💥🚀
💰 COSS Funding: $605M
- Neo4j, the company behind the category-defining graph database of the same name, announced their $325M Series F led by Eurazeo. Link
- BrowserStack, the company delivering browser-testing infrastructure powered by Selenium and many other open source technologies, announced their $200M Series B led by BOND. Link
- Imply, the COSS Apache Druid company, announced their $70M Series C led by Bessemer. Link
- Crate.io, creators of the CrateDB time-series database, announced $10M in new funding from existing investors. Link
📚 COSS Content
- VentureBeat's Paul Sawers is writing a new weekly "Enterprise OSS" newsletter and has highlighted OSS Capital and others in the first couple pieces.
- Dirk Riehle published a new podcast on COSS product management. Link
- Merico Build is now open source, a tool for measuring developer productivity and related analytics. Link
- Eleuther is a rising open source alternative to the "Open"AI GPT-3 technology. Link
- More commentary on the SiFive<>Intel acquisition rumors and associated implications for the RISC-V ecosystem. Link
- OSS Capital is the founding sponsor of one of the Top 5 most visited and used repos on GitHub for new programmers. Link
- Wasmer, the industry-standard WebAssembly runtime and tool-chain, has reached 2.0. Link
- DataStax, the COSS Apache Cassandra company, is throwing its weight behind the Apache Pulsar project, an alternative to Apache Kafka. Link
- JJ shared some new research brewing in the area of engineering / code repository management related to FOSS<>COSS product management. Link
💸 COSS Liquidity (M&A + IPOs)
- Grafana Labs has acquired Load Impact AB, creators of K6. Link
- More news on the Confluent IPO, looking like an $8B+ valuation. Link
📊 $COSS - Public Markets
- $COSS rose again last week by 1.93% 🤏
- Latest $COSS markets snapshot below as of close on June 18th, 2021, courtesy of Koyfin: