Here's the one-hundred third of COSS Weekly, the global commercial open source (COSS) company category newsletter, brought to you every weekend by the team at OSS Capital, creators and stewards of COSS Community and Open Core Summit.
We deliver only the most fresh 😋 news from the previous week in COSS across: Funding, Content, Jobs, Liquidity and $COSS (Public Markets).
Last week saw $52.3M in funding for Fermyon, Devtron, Cosmonic, Grafbase, Netmaker, and Crowd.dev, Elon Musk's first days at Twitter, big updates from Godot, and StabilityAI making news again!
- Fermyon, building serverless dev tools for Web Assembly, announced their $20M Series A led by Insight Partners. Link
- Devtron, a low-code platform for Kubernetes, announced their $12M funding round led by Insight Partners. Link
- Cosmonic, a WebAssembly PaaS, announced their $8.5M Seed led by Vertex Ventures. Link
- Grafbase, a serverless backend, announced their $7.3M Seed led by Next47. Link
- Netmaker, a virtual networking platform, announced their $2.3M funding led by Lytical Ventures. Link
- Crowd.dev, a community building platform for dev tools, announced their €2.2M pre-seed led by Seedcamp and Lightbird. Link
- JJ: "There are now exactly 2 well-funded ($100M+ each) platforms focused exclusively on investing in COSS founders at the earliest stage: @OSSCapital ("seed VC" approach, led by me - launched in 2018) and @OpenCoreVenture ("incubator" approach, led by @sytses - launched this year) 🧵" Link
- The Information: "The Information Scoop: The CEO of Stability AI, on the heels of three equity funding deals, recently talked to investors about raising another $1 billion. https://t.co/2hFlY3dwxS" Link
Elad Gil: "Fireside chat w @EMostaque CEO of @StabilityAI in SF TONIGHT Oct 24 7pm PT Livestream: https://t.co/RWuXW34KC8 *https://t.co/4lEIh87s5v journey *Stable Diffusion & Generative AI *Use cases & startup opptys *Open source & AI *AI safety *Global AI" Link
JJ: "Open Source ALWAYS transcends every transitory hype cycle: Open AI > Closed AI Open Web3 > Closed Web3 Open SaaS > Closed SaaS" Link
Thomas Dohmke: "For the first time, GitHub has surpassed $1 billion in ARR. This achievement is a direct testament to the ingenuity and dedication of our Hubbers, and the longstanding trust held in us by the developer community and our customers. And we know this is just our beginning.(1/3)" Link
Mitchell Hashimoto: "10 years ago to the day, I filed the articles of incorporation to form HashiCorp! (Technicality: this is the CA corp, we reincorporated in Delaware the following year) https://t.co/llDyUCrOWV" Link
Matt Asay: "If I'm reading this right while maths macro economy had a negative effect on Google's earnings its cloud business outperformed. Google Cloud's open approach to innovation and partnering seems to be paying off. https://t.co/7iiiDPlT5x" Link
Emad: "Finalising details for an independent #stablediffusion foundation as discussed on Monday talk with @eladgil, Getting trademarks, governance etc set up with great input from open source experts Looking forward to seeing this grow for the good of all 🙏" Link
AppFlowy: "v0.0.6 is out https://t.co/Hq5Lk8LSzH, a major upgrade to AppFlowy's editor experience 🆕 Support '/' to insert contents, Markdown syntax, and more shortcuts 🆕 Say Hello to appflowy_editor, a highly customizable rich-text editor for Flutter by @appflowy https://t.co/h5Be6MPhQY https://t.co/lh4KYECTG1" Link
Sebastian: "Huge advantage for @rometools is how quickly we lint after even a single keystroke. Shown below is a video comparing Rome and ESLint and how much a difference it makes. Especially when VSCode/ESLint clears lint errors during a refresh. Results in a hover delay. https://t.co/JiyBBFykOS" Link
MJ: "The difference between Next and Remix is largely a philosophical one. We'll both eventually have similar features. They even have an "app" folder now 😅 I don't agree with the Next philosophy, so I built Remix. Read more about our philosophy here 👇 https://t.co/IF4kWeMTfJ" Link
clem 🤗: "We just crossed 1,000,000 downloads of Stable Diffusion on the @huggingface hub! Congrats to Robin Rombach, Patrick Esser, Compvis, @runwayml @StabilityAI, everyone who participated and the whole open-source community. Such a milestone! https://t.co/XwW3CSX02S https://t.co/w15oTeRR7K" Link
JJ: ""Open source AIs will transform our digital existence from an internet of consumption to an internet of creation" --- @EMostaque Strongly agree. Probably the most exciting shift in technology since the discovery of the computer itself." Link
JJ: "Open vs Open alternatives are AS necessary as Open vs Closed. For example, @TauriApps offers step function improvements over @electronjs. Similarly, @hoppscotch_io offers step function improvements over @getpostman. Both examples are in their infancy but profoundly promising." Link
JJ: "On this day exactly 1 year ago, I drew this for the first time --- visualizing our multi-decade thesis @OSSCapital. This drawing was motivated by an important question Bob Young (co-founder of Red Hat) asked me... "Why are you doing this?". I've since digitized the scribble. 😊 https://t.co/W9osd9w5Oo" Link
- Vercel: "Vercel has acquired Splitbee, the privacy-friendly analytics platform, to help eliminate cookie banners and third-party tracking on the Web. https://t.co/C1lZ83mc0P" Link
- 6,739 jobs and 249 companies hiring! Link
$COSS markets up 2.74% last week
Latest $COSS markets snapshot below as of market close last Friday courtesy of Koyfin.