Here's the one-hundred tenth issue of COSS Weekly, the global commercial open source (COSS) company category newsletter, brought to you every weekend by the team at OSS Capital, creators and stewards of COSS Community and Open Core Summit.
We deliver only the most fresh 😋 news from the previous week in COSS across: Funding, Content, Jobs, Liquidity and $COSS (Public Markets).
Last week saw $63.5M in funding announcements from ngrok and ProtectAI, Intrinsic's acquisition of Open Robotics, 30,000 stars for Appflowy, and more developments.
💰 COSS Funding: $63.5M
- ngrok, delivering ingress as a service, announced their $50M Series A led by Lightspeed and Coatue. Link
- ProtectAI, cybersecurity for AI and ML workflows, announced their $13.5M Seed led by Boldstart and Acrew Capital. Link
📚 COSS Content
Emad: "So, open source #ChatGPT? 🤔 I have some thoughts 💭 But first what does everyone else think 🧐 👇" Link
JJ: "How to be successful: Step 1: Invest in open source. Step N: Repeat the first step. 🔂" Link
Sid Sijbrandij: "Wonder what the #IPO process really entails? I shared my key learnings in a 3-part series on @siftedeu to commemorate the 1 year anniversary since @GitLab went public. Check out part 1: the S-1 filing. (Part 2 and 3 out later this week!) https://t.co/6TjjLVUsA5" Link
OpenBB 🦋: "We are happy to see the OpenBB Bot being used a lot as we've reached over a million commands that have been executed. Experience the OpenBB Bot yourself within our Discord channel! https://t.co/Yicu2Xns0N https://t.co/NGVvM2hqWM" Link
JJ: "In biology, the rate of genetic / cellular replication directly correlates with advancement in the dominance hierarchy of life. In technology, there is no other phenomena that more closely resembles this dynamic than that of open source." Link
Carper: "Are you interested in systems like ChatGPT and InstructGPT? Our TRLX library enables training language models with RLHF, the training technique that powers these systems. TRLX is super easy to use, let's walk through an example! ↓ https://t.co/K9IP8FcMHn" Link
JJ: "Until Elon reverses his authoritarian methods on here, I'm out. Will be read-only on here and write-active on @LinkedIn for @COSS_Community. Not nearly enough critical mass of users and data on Mastodon, otherwise I'd be active there, but will continue to monitor that." Link
Mitchell Hashimoto: "This will probably get me suspended, but I'm starting to set up shop over on another social place, link in the footer of my website and identity verified that way (https://t.co/GIw0M6IXzI). I'm going to continue on Twitter as well for now, but my confidence drops every day." Link
💸 COSS Liquidity (M&A + IPOs)
- Open Robotics: "Today we're happy to announce that the OSRC team at Open Robotics has become part of @Intrinsicai! This change will accelerate #ROS, Gazebo, and Open-RMF development and allow the OSRF to better serve the community. Get the full details at: https://t.co/FNBfshQfyw https://t.co/OgbTsCPTWs" Link
🛠️ COSS Jobs
- 5,009 jobs and 257 companies hiring! Link
- hardmaru: "Want to work on the next generation of open-source Generative AI models? @StabilityAI is hiring❗ Please check out the careers page: https://t.co/xJK0Hd0DMy" Link
- ngrok: "Today we announced our $50M series A with @lightspeedvp & Coatue They saw how we're solving #ingress for 5M users & 30k customers in everything from APIs to point of sale systems powering businesses & saw the Vision Time to #build And yes, we're hiring https://t.co/36aJG7q5Z5 https://t.co/LbWpScrAiB" Link
📊 $COSS - Public Markets
- $COSS markets up 0.36% last week
- Latest $COSS markets snapshot below as of market close last Friday courtesy of Koyfin.