Here's the one-hundred twenty second issue of COSS Weekly, the global commercial open source (COSS) company category newsletter, brought to you every weekend by the team at OSS Capital, creators and stewards of COSS Community and Open Core Summit.
We deliver only the most fresh 😋 news from the previous week in COSS across: Funding, Content, Jobs, Liquidity and $COSS (Public Markets).
Last week saw $20M in funding announcements from Seldon, acquisitions from Grafana and Automattic, major news for Godot, exciting job opportunities, and more!
💰 COSS Funding: $20M
- Seldon, an enterprise MLOps platform, announced their $20M Series B led by Bright Pixel Capital. Link
- Marc Seitz: ""There's no money in open-source!" I am breaking this myth in my weekly newsletter. ﹩ open-source funding ﹩ monetization strategies ﹩ contributor compensation It starts with 👇 ✨💸 11 open-source projects that have raised more than $150m 💸✨ https://t.co/DsMxAkUmS9" Link
📚 COSS Content
Matt Mullenweg: "Seems like a good time to re-share my 2009 essay, "Starting a Bank" aka Safebank: https://t.co/BRtGAYsJRD An interesting evolution of this would be a non-fractional reserve bank, funded by subscriptions, and skeleton staff." Link
OpenBB 🦋: "Last week we witnessed the collapse of Silvergate and Silicon Valley Bank. Use our terminal to see if other banks are in danger of the same fate 🧵(1/8)." Link
JJ: "NOTHING comes close to the pace of innovation in open source." Link
JJ: "Truly open source AGI will accelerate open source eating everything by 1,000X." Link
Open Source Startup Podcast🎙: "Ep 77 of the Open Source Startup Podcast is LIVE🎙️ Check out @tnachen & @amanda_robs convo w/ @AqueductHQ Founders @vsreekanti & @profjoeyg🎧 They discuss learnings from interviews w/ 100s of data teams, building in the competitive MLOps space & more! https://t.co/Ny5H0F8C8J" Link
JJ: "OpenAI should be 100% made available to ALL open source project maintainers for free. Or at least an extremely generous free tier up to 500M credits or something. Instead, they are striking deals with insiders and friends extremely selectively. Hope that changes!" Link
W4 Games: "W4 Cloud: here we go! To strengthen the #GodotEngine ecosystem, we've been relentlessly working to develop deeply integrated online services, aimed at augmenting the multiplayer experience for both developers and players. https://t.co/LrGOhjaG2B" Link
Juan Linietsky: "I am happy that @W4Games can finally announce this. Unlike other online services such as EOS or MP, this works very tightly with @godotengine and allows writing multiplayer games that scale from P2P to dedicated severs without having to learn anything on how server infra works.. https://t.co/gL9TunsHrp" Link
JJ: ""Make something people want" is bad advice. People want a lot of toxic things. Harmful things. Instead, make something that will set people free! No better method for this than open source." Link
Y Combinator: "We're hosting a meetup for Open Source Software startups! YC has funded over 75 to date and we're especially excited about them. If you're interested in starting an OSS company someday, join us to connect & learn with other founders in the space. ➡️ https://t.co/psvlJI5CpI https://t.co/2z1LX9YcWd" Link
Solomon Hykes / @email@example.com: "Hard to believe this was 10 years ago... What an incredible journey. I am grateful to everyone who took part in it. I have so many stories, I haven't found the right time or place to share them in a useful and interesting way. Maybe one day! Happy birthday Docker 🐳❤️ https://t.co/615nE0C5Ee" Link
Cal.com: "Today we're not only launching v.2.7 but also we're also introducing: our brand new docs: https://t.co/Y9gnuwCwyE ✨🖤 - more comprehensive - lightning fast - with AI-powered search - powered by @motifland and markdoc made with love to make time 🕓 https://t.co/APqJBzOqzt" Link
Balaji: "I will take that bet. You buy 1 BTC. I will send $1M USD. This is ~40:1 odds as 1 BTC is worth ~$26k. The term is 90 days. All we need is a mutually agreed custodian who will still be there to settle this in the event of digital dollar devaluation. If someone knows how to do this... https://t.co/tcuBNd679T https://t.co/6Aav9KeJpe" Link
Godot Engine: "We are honored to announce that @EpicGames is offering Godot Engine a place on the Epic Games Store. Starting today, you can choose to use EGS to download the engine and keep it up to date with every release. https://t.co/RlnFEt1s0D" Link
Steven Tey: "I'm curating a list of open-source alternatives to popular SaaS: ◆ Calendly: @calcom ◆ Google Analytics: @PlausibleHQ ◆ Segment: @jitsucom ◆ Algolia: @meilisearch ◆ Rewardful: @useReflio ◆ Bitly: @Dubdotsh Who else did I miss? 👀" Link
Steven Tey: "@calcom @PlausibleHQ @jitsucom @meilisearch @useReflio @dubdotsh Here are some more notable examples that I missed: ◆ Shopify: @MedusaJS ◆ WorkOS: @BoxyHQ ◆ Notion: @AppFlowy ◆ Firebase: @Supabase ◆ Airtable: @nocodb ◆ Postman: @Hoppscotch_io ◆ LaunchDarkly: @getUnleash ◆ Retool: @theappsmith ◆ Auth0: @supertokensio What else?" Link
💸 COSS Liquidity (M&A + IPOs)
- Ryan Perry: "Some exciting news for the @PyroscopeIO team, our open source users, and our customers! Looking forward to joining the Phlare team and continuing working on Pyroscope alongside the great team at @grafana ! https://t.co/C3IgK4jxpu" Link
- TechCrunch: "https://t.co/7R4u5Ike8D owner Automattic acquires an ActivityPub plugin so blogs can join the Fediverse https://t.co/P5mZiCJeuO by @sarahintampa" Link
🛠️ COSS Jobs
- 3,926 jobs and 269 companies hiring! Link
- Juan Linietsky: "Folks, @W4games is looking for a Senior Rendering Engineer and a Senior Game Physics Engineer. Both are to spend their time donating knowledge and exp as FOSS to improve Godot. Interested? Check the link below and write to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please RT! https://t.co/6Nmzx015wJ" Link
- Emad: "Open offer to anyone @OpenAI who actually wants to work on Open AI: We will match your salary, benefits etc but you can work on any open source AI projects you like, ours or others. Collaborate, be open and prioritise good outcomes over self interest: https://t.co/BRPspJ2RKB https://t.co/7l5O5mHJEc https://t.co/DFIn1wHmA9" Link
📊 $COSS - Public Markets
$COSS markets up 2.80% last week
Latest $COSS markets snapshot below as of market close last Friday courtesy of Koyfin.