COSS Weekly, Issue #13: January 24th, 2021
Welcome to the thirteenth issue of the COSS Weekly, the global Commercial Open-Source ecosystem newsletter brought to you every Sunday by Joseph Jacks and team at COSS.Community, OSS Capital and the organizers of Open Core Summit.
Each week, we neatly summarize the latest happenings in COSS, often including objective commentary across primarily the following four areas: Funding, Content, Liquidity, Data.
💰 COSS Funding
As of today, the COSS category is fast approaching $300B in aggregate value across all public/private companies. (In 2010, COSS was valued at $10B). Link
Snowplow Analytics, building a behavioral data management platform, announces $10M Series A2 led by Atlantic Bridge. Link
Databricks, a data and AI platform, is in talks of a private funding round which would value the company at roughly $27B, according to sources. Link
📚 COSS Content
Julia Schottenstein (investor at NEA) shares public dashboard for GitHub metrics x VC funding stats. Link
Martin Casado shares observations on churn in open-source business models, with ensuing discussion. Link
Crowdsourced questions on the SSPL for Heather Meeker. Link
The COSS Monetization Reckoning Is Coming by Joseph Jacks. Link
Hugging Face becomes only company to appear in the first three editions of GitHub's fastest growing open-source startups list. (Eight other projects mentioned twice.) Link
Shawn Cherian (Partner at EIP) shares the public COSS stock index that has outperformed the S&P500 and NASDAQ. Link
Company Building Session #1: Pricing, Selling, Measuring, Rinse & Repeat. Webinar series focused on dev-focused and COSS startups, hosted by Kevin Xu (founder of Interconnected, COSS.community, ex-GM at PingCAP). This session is focused on early stage sales, featuring Matt Ekstrom (Chief Revenue Officer at ArangoDB, ex-ScyllaDB, MongoDB, and Synopsys). Register for the live webinar on Thursday, January 28th at 5pm PST. Link
Flagship's The Craft of Open Source podcast featuring Heather Meeker, for an in-depth licensing conversation. Link
Design for Startups Episode #1 by Garry Tan (founder at Initialized Capital). Must watch for OSS creators, maintainers, and founders looking to learn design. Link
OSS Capital announces upcoming $COSS ETF, an equal-weighted index of every COSS company, planned to launch in Summer 2021 in partnership with NASDAQ. Link
The founders of CoreOS, Alex Polvi and Brandon Phillips, speak with GV General Partner Dave Munichiello about lessons in building open-source communities. Link
Drupal's journey from dorm-room project to billion-dollar exit. Link
What's Hot in Enterprise IT/V #221 by Ed Sim. Link
JJ's observations on open core ETL and evolutions over the last decade. Link
📈 COSS Data
- 🌐 YC COSS: For the first time ever in 2020, 15~ COSS startups have gone through YC in a single year representing 30%+ of the total (50~ since 2006). Our YC COSS dataset tracks and provides granular data on the growing but still small COSS YC alumni.
- 🏦 COSS PE Funding: This dataset tracks the latest funding events for all stages of COSS companies, mostly in private markets, for 2020-2021+
- 📊 COSS Index: The well-known COSSI sheet for the exclusive $100M+ revenue club of COSS companies. New data points and growth happening weekly.
- 🌩️ AWS COSS: List of COSS services on AWS. Continuously evolving. We plan to offer similar datasets for Azure, GCP, and other major clouds.
- 📈 COSS IPO: Analysis of every COSS IPO since 1999.