COSS Weekly, Issue #12: January 17th, 2021
Welcome to the twelfth issue of the COSS Weekly, the global Commercial Open-Source ecosystem newsletter brought to you every Sunday by Joseph Jacks and team at COSS.Community, OSS Capital and the organizers of Open Core Summit.
Each week, we neatly summarize the latest happenings in COSS, often including objective commentary across primarily the following four areas: Funding, Content, Liquidity, Data.
💰 COSS Funding
In 2020, 12 COSS companies each raised $50M+: Sourcegraph, SiFive, Sysdig, Dremio, Plume, CockroachDB, ForgeRock, Redis Labs, Couchbase, HashiCorp, Confluent, PingCAP. Link
Cockroach Labs, building cloud database management software, announces $160M Series E (at $2.16B valuation) led by Altimeter Capital. Link
Slim.ai, creating dev tools for production-ready containers, announces $6.6M seed led by Boldstart Ventures, Decibel Ventures, and FXP Ventures. Link
Molecula, building an enterprise feature store for machine-scale analytics and AI, announces $17.6M Series A led by Drive Capital. Link
Stacklet, developing a cloud governance platform based on Cloud Custodian, announces $18M Series A led by Addition. Link
Openbase, building a platform to help developers and organizations choose the right software package every time, raises $3.6M seed led by Zeev Ventures. Link
Vue Storefront, developing a leading cloud-native open-source storefront, raises $1.5M seed led by SMOK Ventures and Movens VC. Link
📚 COSS Content
Openly Operated creates certification for apps and services that operate with full transparency. Link
Understanding COSS Market Dynamics by Joseph Jacks. Link
The accidental open-sourcing of Linksys, one of the world's most popular routers. Link
Conversation between William Falcon (GridAI, PyTorch Lightning) and Sarah Cannon (Index Ventures) on launching AI startups. Link
Discussion of open-source software turning into non-compete software and the BSL license. Link
4 open source lessons for 2021 by Sarah Novotny (Open-Source Lead, Azure). Link
Thoughts on Elastic replacing Apache 2.0 license to SSPL. Link
Harry Stebbings (Stride VC, 20VC Fund) speaks with Ali Ghodsi (CEO of Databricks) on The Twenty Minute VC. Link
GitLab weighing options for going public after employee share sale, which valued company at $6B. Link
What can industry founders learn from 4 "Tech -> Company -> Category" stories? Link
More new projects and services are prioritizing DEV.to at the level of Twitter and FaceBook. Link
Julia Schottenstein (tech investor at NEA) shares VC analysis of GitHub metrics. Link
📈 COSS Data
- 🌐 YC COSS: For the first time ever in 2020, 15~ COSS startups have gone through YC in a single year representing 30%+ of the total (50~ since 2006). Our YC COSS dataset tracks and provides granular data on the growing but still small COSS YC alumni.
- 🏦 COSS PE Funding: This dataset tracks the latest funding events for all stages of COSS companies, mostly in private markets, for 2020-2021+
- 📊 COSS Index: The well-known COSSI sheet for the exclusive $100M+ revenue club of COSS companies. New data points and growth happening weekly.
- 🌩️ AWS COSS: List of COSS services on AWS. Continuously evolving. We plan to offer similar datasets for Azure, GCP, and other major clouds.
- 📈 COSS IPO: Analysis of every COSS IPO since 1999.