COSS Weekly, Issue #33: June 13th, 2021
Here's the thirty-third issue of COSS Weekly, the global commercial open source (COSS) company category newsletter, brought to you every Sunday afternoon (Pacific Time) by the team at OSS Capital, creators and stewards of COSS Community and Open Core Summit.
We deliver only the most fresh 😋 news from the previous week in COSS across: Funding, Content, Liquidity and $COSS (Public Markets).
Last week, Intel offered to acquired SiFive for more than $2 Billion. This is big news for the RISC-V (pronounced "risk-five") ecosystem, the open source instructed set architecture specification taking the semiconductor industry by storm, bringing open standards and democratization to processor chip design for all!
Additionally, Prefect, RudderStack, Komodor, PostHog and Commit announced $83M in new funding across Seed to Series B rounds. 🔥
💰 COSS Funding: $83M
- Prefect, the company behind the data workflow automation system of the same name (initially based on Apache Airflow), announced their $32M Series B led by Tiger Global. Link
- RudderStack, creators of the open source customer data platform of the same name, announced their $21M Series A led by Kleiner Perkins. Link
- Komodor, a startup building troubleshooting tooling for Kubernetes operators, announced their $21M Series A led by Accel. Link
- PostHog, creators of the developer-friendly product analytics tool of the same name, announced their $15M Series A led by YC. Link
- Commit, a startup matching up engineers looking for a new job to early-stage startups that want to hire them, and creators of the Zero project, announced their $6M Seed led by Accomplice. Link
📚 COSS Content
- Dev, CEO of MongoDB, joined CNBC to discuss the fact that MongoDB has only 1% market share at a $20B valuation. Link
- OpenView released a Developer-Focused GTM playbook including some thoughts on COSS<>SaaS. Link
- DEV founder Ben Halpern made a COSS Community contribution post on positioning and evolving past "Open source of X". Link
- Replit CEO threatened to sue a former intern for publishing an open source implementation of Replit, resulting in one of the most commented HackerNews posts of all time. Link
- HashiCorp is planning to hire another 500 people this year. Link
- Mike Volpi of Index Ventures interviewed the great Aghi Marietti, co-founder/CEO of Kong. Link
- WPEngine released the first study on the value of WordPress, estimating its value at > $600B. Link
- JJ shared that COSS has raised > $5B from VC in 2021 alone, and some statistics on the stages of fund raises, as well as the fact that COSS No-Code is here!
- Christie Chirinos started a new podcast called "The Open Source Economist". Link
💸 COSS Liquidity (M&A + IPOs)
- Intel is working to acquire SiFive for more than $2B. Link
📊 $COSS - Public Markets
- $COSS went UP again last week by 5.89% 📈
- Latest $COSS markets snapshot below as of close on June 11th, 2021, courtesy of Koyfin: