Here's the one-hundred forty-seventh issue of COSS Weekly, the global commercial open source (COSS) company category newsletter, brought to you every weekend by the team at OSS Capital, creators and stewards of COSS Community and Open Core Summit.
We deliver only the most fresh 😋 news from the previous week in COSS across: Funding, Content, Jobs, Liquidity and $COSS (Public Markets).
Last week saw $515M in funding announcements from Databricks and Pahdo Labs, a $10K monthly contribution from OSS Capital to the Godot Foundation, exciting updates from Git Round, and more!
💰 COSS Funding: $515M
- Databricks, the data lakehouse platform, announced their $500M funding round at $34B valuation led by T. Rowe Price Associates. Link
- Pahdo Labs, helping people make anime-style AI games, announced their $15M Series A led by a16z. Link
- Godot Engine: "We are excited to introduce a major improvement in funding the development efforts of the #GodotEngine -- the Godot Development Fund! Help us secure stable funding and ensure the longevity of the project 💙 https://t.co/rlABXuBV4g" Link
- JJ --- e/acc: "Excited to share that @OSSCapital is donating $10,000 / month to the @godotengine foundation. 🙇🏻♂️ 🤖 https://t.co/dfjCLAyF5E" Link
- Godot Engine: "We're amazed and humbled at this level of support, and how much this will accelerate our efforts! Thank you so much @OSSCapital and @JosephJacks_ for adding an incredible $10,000/month to the #GodotEngine Development Fund! 💙 https://t.co/vyPr8g5EOS" Link
- Eric Newcomer: "SCOOP: MotherDuck Raising $50M in Felicis-Led Round, Valuing Startup at $350M https://t.co/i2O1siCQTN" Link
📚 COSS Content
🦊 GitLab: "GitLab didn't start with a vision for creating a category --- it started with a dev's need for a great #opensource collaboration tool. @sytses shares what we learned on the journey to creating the #DevOps Platform category. Read more here: https://t.co/RmA8gXGg93" Link
JJ --- e/acc: "Blown away at the quality so many initial applications to @git_round. We're super excited to announce the first 5 special founding teams to go through the program starting October 1st! Deadline to apply for the founding quarterly cohort is September 30th at midnight PT." Link
JJ --- e/acc: "1970-2010: Hardware is the commodity, Software is the Product. 2010+: Software is the commodity, Open Source is the product." Link
Documenso: "New week, new milestone: 3.6K stars on GitHub. THANK YOU for your continuous support in this journey to building a beautiful, open-source alternative to DocuSign: https://t.co/qpe7VWJNne https://t.co/0a8J6vhgSd" Link
Juan Linietsky: "In all seriousness, I see this is as designed for Unity to fetch most of the long tail money of free2play games. While smaller devs will not pay much, it adds an extra hassle to them, every single month having to check new installs and sending a few bucks to Unity, forever. https://t.co/P3WsIsMt2p" Link
Peer Richelsen: "contrary to most belief i think every startup should have a dedicated "human-first" person aka "HR" once they are 20 people once you have a rockstar team, keeping them happy is the #1 priority losing a top performer is more expensive than the HR person here's what we do 👇" Link
Open Source Startup Podcast🎙: "Check out the latest Open Source Startup Podcast featuring the browser-based tech pundit @paulgb of @drifting_corp🪐 ⚡️What's holding back browser-based apps today? ⚡️Which applications will move to the browser first? ⚡️Was WASM over-hyped? Listen in👇https://t.co/sVSoxVtHZG" Link
JJ --- e/acc: "Pages and pages of @godotengine love 💕 on the Unity forum... Incredible. Unity is seemingly committing suicide with their latest parasitic pricing changes. https://t.co/GWhUKtgjMN" Link
Plane: "Building on August's pace, we are back with our first release for September → ✈️ v0.12-dev! Packed with major upgrades to Plane Deploy, improved Gantt layouts, new Peek-Overview mode, and Time Zones. Dive into the 🧵 to learn what's new ↓" Link
JJ --- e/acc: "ALL our big bets @OSSCapital are on outsider founders off-beaten-track... not based in Silicon Valley. Not based in Bay Area. Not even in California. There is so much incredible alpha in being open minded about where a great founder lives. Among many other things, ofc." Link
JJ --- e/acc: "After reviewing all the applications, today we sent out the first round of interview asks for @git_round (GRQ423, starting October 1st, in 17 days!) and releasing FAQ page tomorrow. DEMO DAY will be on the second day of OCS III live-streamed from SF on December 6th 2023. ✅🌱📈" Link
Git Round: "200+ followers in 5....4....3....2....1 👀" Link
Liyas Thomas: "APIs are the connective tissue between your applications and devices. Whether you realize it or not, your organization's sensitive data is traversing APIs." Link
José Donato 🦋: "Forget about BloombergGPT. Is this the future of finance? You can talk with any widget of the new @openbb_finance Terminal Pro 💬 Currently using @OpenAI, and we should be able to integrate any LLM. https://t.co/aB4QpVHwQa" Link
W4 Games: "The @W4Games team has been busy the past few months preparing our upcoming product launches: - Console ports for @godotengine 4.x - Cloud services for Godot multiplayer games Recent news put a spotlight on the console support situation in Godot, so we'd like to share some news." Link
- * * \ *💸 COSS Liquidity (M&A + IPOs)**
🛠️ COSS Jobs
- 3,495 jobs and 293 companies hiring! Link
- Wasmer: "Wasmer just offered a $5,000 award (via @algoraio) for the first developer that adds support for Wasm/WASIX in the Zig ecosystem. Looking forward to seeing your contributions! 🚀 https://t.co/8tA6duQmFK" Link
📊 $COSS - Public Markets
- $COSS markets down 3.00% last week
- Latest $COSS markets snapshot below as of market close last Friday courtesy of Koyfin.