COSS Weekly, Issue #11: January 11th, 2021
Welcome to the eleventh issue of the COSS Weekly, the global Commercial Open-Source ecosystem newsletter brought to you every Sunday by Joseph Jacks and team at COSS.Community, OSS Capital and the organizers of Open Core Summit.
Each week, we neatly summarize the latest happenings in COSS, often including objective commentary across primarily the following four areas: Funding, Content, Liquidity, Data.
💰 COSS Funding
Starburst, building software to help companies search and analyze their data, announces $100M Series C led by Andreessen Horowitz. Link
Metaphor Data, dedicated to building out the DataHub ecosystem, announces launch with a $5.3M seed led by Amplify Partners and Andreessen Horowitz. Link
Dremio, powering cloud data lakes, announces $135M Series D led by Sapphire Ventures. Link
Chronosphere, building monitoring products for cloud, announces $43.4M Series B led by Greylock, Lux Capital, and investor Lee Fixel. Link
Kong, building a full-stack service connectivity platform, raises $93M in equity sale. Link
📚 COSS Content
"Charge money for something exponentially scalable." Link
What, Who, Why, When, Where, How of COSS. Link
"Open Source as a Business Strategy" with Peter Reinhardt (CEO of Segment). Link
How open core/COSS lowers startup costs — across distribution, R&D, sales, talent acquistion, and CAC. Link
Wasmer 1.0 released and generally available. Link
Discover the first open-source communities powered by Forem! Link
📈 COSS Data
- 🌐 YC COSS: For the first time ever in 2020, 15~ COSS startups have gone through YC in a single year representing 30%+ of the total (50~ since 2006). Our YC COSS dataset tracks and provides granular data on the growing but still small COSS YC alumni.
- 🏦 COSS PE Funding: This dataset tracks the latest funding events for all stages of COSS companies, mostly in private markets, for 2020-2021+
- 📊 COSS Index: The well-known COSSI sheet for the exclusive $100M+ revenue club of COSS companies. New data points and growth happening weekly.
- 🌩️ AWS COSS: List of COSS services on AWS. Continuously evolving. We plan to offer similar datasets for Azure, GCP, and other major clouds.
- 📈 COSS IPO: Analysis of every COSS IPO since 1999.