Here's the eightieth issue of COSS Weekly, the global commercial open source (COSS) company category newsletter, brought to you every Sunday afternoon (Pacific Time) by the team at OSS Capital, creators and stewards of COSS Community and Open Core Summit.
We deliver only the most fresh 😋 news from the previous week in COSS across: Funding, Content, Jobs, Liquidity and $COSS (Public Markets).
Last week saw $168.6M in funding announcements from Imply, Heartex, Akuity, and Pipedream, acquisitions from Orbit, Fastly, and Planview, plus open-souce ecosystem and product updates.
We also have an AMA with Cassidy Williams, head of Developer Experience at Remote, this Wednesday, May 25th, at COSS.community!
Enjoy — and hope to see you at the AMA on Wednesday!
- Imply, a real-time database, announced their $100M Series D led by Thoma Bravo. Link
- Heartex, building an AI data labeling platform, announced their $25M Series A led by Redpoint Ventures. Link
- Akuity, building continuous delivery solutions for Kubernetes, announced their $20M Series A led by Lead Edge Capital. Link
- Pipedream, building tools to quickly connect APIs, announced their $20M Series A led by True Ventures. Link
- ZincSearch, a lightweight alternative to elasticsearch that requires minimal resources, written in Go, announced their $3.6M Seed led by Nexus. Link
- Tauri: "If you're looking for a neat @rustlang project to contribute to, check out Rustdesk - and weigh in as to why your favourite Desktop framework should make the grade. (Thanks @josephjacks_ for the heads-up.): https://t.co/ruTOBfCd0b" Link
- Cal.com: "🚀 launch day 🚀 v.1.6 is live with recurring events, @zapier, @HubSpot, embeds and more! https://t.co/n8vijleF6Y" Link
- Frederic Lardinois: "Red Hat open sources StackRox, the Kubernetes security platform it acquired last year https://t.co/jzdr1P0SZq" Link
- Skiff: "Today, we're launching Skiff Mail: Privacy-first, end-to-end encrypted, open-source, Web3-native email. https://t.co/mX1NYk6xUf Why is Skiff Mail such a game-changer? 🧵💌" Link
- Mike Brock 🫂: "Today, we became a member of the @W3C, as part of our commitment to building open standards for an open web. We are committed to advancing and adopting decentralized and privacy-preserving standards for self-sovereign digital identity that benefits all. Not centralized platforms." Link
- Peer Richelsen 🗓🍊: "airbnb doesn't own houses uber doesn't own cars open source companies don't own code" Link
- The Register: "Intel sure is showing growing enthusiasm and support for @risc_v "We're going to meet this call for contributions by participating in hiring resources and applying those resources within this community to help close gaps," one exec said. https://t.co/l7eE8LVcfz" Link
- Remix 💿: "📣 We're excited to announce Remix v1.5.0 🎉 https://t.co/A1A2lwNrzd 🦕 Official support (no longer experimental) 🕸 Updated Web Fetch implementation that's closer to the Fetch Spec 🌊 Improved Streaming support Give it a shot: npx create-remix" Link
- TechCrunch: "When big AI labs refuse to open source their models, the community steps in https://t.co/3RIuTb2vaI by @kyle_I_wiggers" Link
- Sourcegraph: "$ brew install fund_open_source Season 3⃣ of the Pod just dropped! @beyang talks with @mxcl, creator of @MacHomebrew and @teaxyz_, a new package manager that aims to equitably fund open source through the use of distributed protocols: https://t.co/ahxKPau4RO" Link
- Open Source Startup Podcast🎙: "Major new pod release🎙 @amanda_robs & @tnachen talk with @_eandre of @encoredotdev about backend engines that make it easy for developers to get powerful, distributed backend infrastructure💪 ✨Check it out✨ https://t.co/L1wtz4N8S6" Link
- Paul Sawers: "Once frenemies, Elastic and AWS are now besties https://t.co/uRwlfN0mUY" Link
- Ben Lorica 罗瑞卡: "1/ This week on #TheDataExchangePod I speak with @jlowin, CEO and co-founder @PrefectIO, the company behind the popular open source data & workflow orchestration system of the same name. We discussed best practices for building data/ML pipelines at scale https://t.co/sfONQGLbfE" Link
- haroon meer: "(It's painful listening to myself on podcasts, but) Chatting to @jonsakoda on the @DecibelVC podcast was really fun. We discuss building @ThinkstCanary with a focus on customers (instead of fundraising) & building a company away from Silicon Valley. https://t.co/cYNBcNWyiQ https://t.co/ugmkBzGiKr" Link
- Open Sauced: "Making Money on Open Source | @feross shares The Secret Sauce" Link
- Orbit 💜: "✨ We're delighted to announce that Orbit has acquired @hoopyio Matthew Revell and team, along with @devrelcon and @_devrel, are joining Orbit. Learn about our galactic plans to empower #DevRel professionals through learning, research, and community. https://t.co/hl3256Qkee https://t.co/jRc5dcnAD8" Link
- 🎏Glitch: "Glitch is now a part of @Fastly! We are very excited about this next chapter for Glitch and most importantly, the Glitch community. Read the announcement here: https://t.co/86anLxfVSu" Link
- Mik Kersten: "Tasktop Joins Planview! Absolutely thrilled about this historic next step for our customers, our staff, and the industry! https://t.co/5lcxGHOuYB https://t.co/8mGhqeeRLq" Link
- 10,165 jobs and 222 companies hiring! Link
$COSS markets down 2.32% last week
Latest $COSS markets snapshot below as of market close last Friday courtesy of Koyfin.