Here's the one-hundred fiftieth (!!) issue of COSS Weekly, the global commercial open source (COSS) company category newsletter, brought to you every weekend by the team at OSS Capital, creators and stewards of COSS Community and Open Core Summit.
We deliver only the most fresh 😋 news from the previous week in COSS across: Funding, Content, Jobs, Liquidity and $COSS (Public Markets).
Last week saw $53.5M in funding announcements from Pulumi, CrabNebula, Kestra, and Kedify, the 5th Anniversary of OSS Capital, important AI conversations, and major project milestones!
💰 COSS Funding: $53.5M
- Pulumi, the infrastructure as code tool, announced their $41M Series C led by Madrona Ventures. Link
- CrabNebula, building the leading Tauri tools, announced their $7.5M Seed led by OSS Capital. Link
- Kestra, the automated orchestration tool, announced their $3M round led by ISAI and Axeleo Capital. Link
- Kedify, an event-driven autoscaling tool based on Keda, announced their $2M initial investment led by Open Core Ventures. Link
- JJ --- e/acc: "Super excited to announce our $7.5M lead founding investment in @CrabNebulaDev --- creators and stewards of @TauriApps. We've been blown away by the growth of Tauri and its mission to radically transform the future of environmentally sustainable and lightning fast applications. 69,000+ stars and 280+ contributors later, ranking in the top 5 @rustlang projects alongside @rustdesk and others..." Link
📚 COSS Content
JJ --- e/acc: "On this day 5 years ago, we announced @OSSCapital to the world. 50+ investments, 3 institutional funds and 1 exit later (thanks @tobi) we have come far but are still just getting started. Deeply grateful for every LP, founder and supporter believing in our mission." Link
JJ --- e/acc: "Sad to read Vinod's views on open source become so negative ... "I no longer believe in open source". You don't need to believe in it for it to continue to transform everything. Open source is like physics, you cannot escape it." Link
Hoppscotch: "Just passed 55,000 stars on GitHub. Thank you so much, community" Link
JJ --- e/acc: "Cal.com is Kubernetes but for scheduling humans!" Link
W4 Games: "Great interview by industry legends Fred Ford and Dan Gerstein on why owning your work and #gamedev tools is so important. They've recently ported The Ur-Quan Masters 2 to #GodotEngine as a frontend, and found it to be a natural fit for their development philosophy." Link
Didier Lopes: "OpenBB Excel Add-In. It's coming together." Link
Tauri: "This is the "Tauri Factor", because believe the hype: everyone hates bloat." Link
Heather Meeker: "My book is available for pre-order on Kindle! a.co/d/84lYzqO" Link
JJ --- e/acc: "60 days from Open Core Summit III happening in SF on December 6 & 7th. Produced by @OSSCapital and @Automattic. Meet + learn from founders of Red Hat, GitHub, GitLab, and more. OCS is back in person for the second time since our inaugural 2019 event. hopencoresummit.com" Link
Plane: "17K GitHub stars? That's some serious love! We're truly grateful. In appreciation, we're excited to share our latest release Plane v0.13-dev Dive into the to learn what's new↓" Link
Peer Richelsen: "lean, open source, modular, flexible, customizable, affordable (free), community-driven, instant-support, open APIs, platform-APIs, third-party app store, AI-automations, subdomains, ..?" Link
Heavybit: "In ep. 135 of @JamstackRadio, Brian (@bdougieYO) speaks with Birk Jernström (@birk) of Polar. This talk explores avenues for supporting maintainers of open source projects and looks specifically at ways to provide better funding for their initiatives. bit.ly/3RKvxYg" Link
Tauri: "The support that @CrabNebulaDev has given @TauriApps is a textbook example of COSS nurturing its community. If you want to know more, feel free to listen to Tauri cofounder Denjell's exclusive interview on the Changelog: changelog.com/podcast/560" Link
Draw Things: "1.20231004.1 was released in macOS / iOS AppStore (static.drawthings.ai/DrawThings-1.2...). This version brings on-device model fine-tuning (in the form of LoRA training) to people with iPhone 15 Pro / Pro Max, iPad and Mac! (1/6)" Link
David Cramer: "Sentry is giving $500k+ to open source it relies on this year, >2x last year. We didn't start with a high $ amount - and honestly this is still small potatoes - so what's stopping your company from doing it?" Link
JJ --- e/acc: ".@HarryStebbings interviews the exceptional COSS founder @rauchg .... Very happy to have seen @OSSCapital invest alongside Guillermo maybe a dozen times now? spotify.link/EmYd7sWtIDb" Link
Brian Armstrong: "Open source more of AI! It's the best tool to prevent unintended harm from government action." Link
JJ --- e/acc: "This is utter insanity! @POTUS is idiotic to not embrace open source across the board ... let alone giving ALL our adversaries a fundamental advantage by banning / regulating open source at ANY level whatsoever. reuters.com/technology/us-..." Link
💸 COSS Liquidity (M&A + IPOs)
No COSS Liquidity announcements this week.
🛠️ COSS Jobs
- 3,689 jobs and 294 companies hiring! Link
- JJ --- e/acc: "We're hiring in product, sales and engineering roles @rustdesk ! Top 5 fastest growing @rustlang project and worlds most popular open source virtual desktop / remote access platform. DM me if you are interesting in joining. Hiring on a global basis." Link
📊 $COSS - Public Markets
- $COSS markets down 0.61% last week
- Latest $COSS markets snapshot below as of market close last Friday courtesy of Koyfin.