COSS Weekly, Issue #35: June 28th, 2021
Here's the thirty-fifth issue of COSS Weekly, the global commercial open source (COSS) company category newsletter, brought to you every Sunday afternoon (Pacific Time) by the team at OSS Capital, creators and stewards of COSS Community and Open Core Summit.
We deliver only the most fresh 😋 news from the previous week in COSS across: Funding, Content, Liquidity and $COSS (Public Markets).
What a week! Yesterday, we got locked out Mailchimp, but we aren't going anywhere! Thank you for your incredible patience with us.
Late last week, we saw Confluent, the Apache Kafka company, go public via a traditional IPO at a $10B+ valuation...today, they are worth $16.6B, on a fully-diluted basis! 🚀 🌕
On private markets funding side, we witnessed another $240M in new COSS funding announcements for a grand total of EIGHT great companies. 💥 💥 💥 💥 💥 💥 💥 💥
💰 COSS Funding: $240M
- Vercel, creators of next.js and many other extraordinary open source DevTools to develop, preview and ship applications on the web, announced their $102M Series C led by Bedrock. Link
- SANITY, a modern CMS that allows users to collaborate in real-time on structured content, announced their $39M Series B led by ICONIQ. Link
- PlanetScale, the Vitess company, announced their $30M Series B led by Insight. Link
- Robocorp, creators open source RPA framework tooling and products, announced their $21M Series A led by Canvas. Link
- Graylog, an open source log management platform, announced their $18M growth equity led by Harbert. Link
- env0, a new Terraform company building automated remote-run workflow tooling, announced $17M Series A led by Microsoft's venture arm: M12. Link
- Acryl Data, a startup commercializing the DataHub project created at Linkedin, announced their $9M Seed round led by 8VC. Link
- AtomicJar, creators of the popular Testcontainers integration testing project, announced their $4M Seed round led by Boldstart. Link
📚 COSS Content
- Armory published a white paper on the commercialization of open source. Link
- Joe Beda, creator of Heptio and Kubernetes, was interviewed on the OSS Startup podcast. Link
💸 COSS Liquidity (M&A + IPOs)
- Confluent IPO news and coverage:
- Couchbase IPO filing. Link
- NetApp acquired DataMechanics, an Apache Spark startup. Link
📊 $COSS - Public Markets
- $COSS rose again last week by 4.22%!
- Latest $COSS markets snapshot below as of close today courtesy of Koyfin: