Here's the one-hundred sixth issue of COSS Weekly, the global commercial open source (COSS) company category newsletter, brought to you every weekend by the team at OSS Capital, creators and stewards of COSS Community and Open Core Summit.
We deliver only the most fresh 😋 news from the previous week in COSS across: Funding, Content, Jobs, Liquidity and $COSS (Public Markets).
Last week saw $330.7M in funding zkSync, MotherDuck, Buildkite, EngFlow, EdgeDB, Quix, Narwhal, Payload, and Sematic, updates from open-source AI and Twitter, and major updates from Cal.com and OpenBB!
COSS Funding: $330.7M
- zkSync, a trustless protocol for low-cost transactions on Ethereum, announced their $200M Series C led by Blockchain Capital and Dragonfly Capital. Link
- MotherDuck, providing serverless data analytics with DuckDB, announced their $47.5M Series A led by a16z and Redpoint. Link
- Buildkite, a tool that scans code through the CI/CD pipeline, announced their $21M Series B led by Airtree and One Ventures. Link
- EngFlow, a build acceleration company, announced their $18M Series A led by Tiger Global. Link
- EdgeDB, a graph-relational database, announced their $15M Series A led by Nava Ventures and Accel. Link
- Quix, an event-driven data engineering platform, announced their $12.9M Series A led by MMC Ventures. Link
- Narwhal, the company behind the mono-repo build tool Nx, announced their $8.6M Seed led by Nexus Venture Partners and a16z. Link
- Payload, a developer-first headless CMS, announced their $4.7M Seed led by Gradient Ventures. Link
- Sematic, a continuous ML platform, announced their $3M Seed led by Race Capital. Link
📚 COSS Content
Alexandr Wang: "Interesting development in generative AI--- A firm open-sourced a Midjourney-style model by fine-tuning Stable Diffusion on publicly available MJ images Points to even thinner moats---if your model is popular, people can copy it based on JUST shared images https://t.co/YpCJKktj54" Link
JJ: "Very cool open source personal robot. A bit roomba-esque but it's exciting to see folks working on stuff like this with a commitment to truly trustable open source core development. Nice work by the folks at @luxonis --- https://t.co/a0I50K5Sj7 https://t.co/hhSO3f0YEk" Link
OpenBB 🦋: "Please join us on the 29th of November at 01:00pm EST for the launch of the OpenBB Terminal 2.0, which includes two exciting new developments - an SDK and an AI/ML toolkit! Sign up here. https://t.co/Qzxw0vAyVB" Link
JJ: "Wanted: A powerful codegen LLM trained on features and capabilities of every proprietary SaaS product that can systematically output open source alternative MVPs. 🙃" Link
Will Knight (firstname.lastname@example.org): "I interviewed the creator of Mastodon, Eugen Rochko (https://t.co/LHI3ZIWPdK). We talked about how crazy the past few weeks have been, how the platform was built to avoid the kind of takeover seen at Twitter, and what he made of Elon's snarky tweet: https://t.co/mk8dB7USTK" Link
Community Notes: "Exciting update to our open source ranking algorithm that improves note quality, making it less likely that mediocre or unhelpful notes appear on Tweets. In the spirit of #AlgorithmicTransparency, here's how and why it works..." Link
Stability AI: "We're pleased to announce our Platform website. This website is the go-to place for anything related to Stability AI APIs (such as the DreamStudio API). Visit now → https://t.co/F8ShOO60i7 Announcement post → https://t.co/ywIbXpEGVg https://t.co/u7w0kesErw" Link
Emad: "400 lines of python code for training and running, 5x faster alternate architecture. Will be interesting to see how this scales. Happy to have supported this @StabilityAI https://t.co/Al2UYrPKI6" Link
Elon Musk: "Twitter is like open-sourcing the news" Link
Michael Jackson: "Open sourcing the algorithms that dictate what we see on social media is a powerful step toward a better world. Out in the open, we can fix them, together. Totally awesome move 👏" Link
Didier Lopes 🦋: "@openbb_finance is now #2 by stars on GitHub in the topic of "finance" ⭐️ For reference, vnpy was created in March of 2015. I started OpenBB in late December of 2020. https://t.co/MR3jnRS2Pz" Link
💸 COSS Liquidity (M&A + IPOs)
No COSS Liquidity announcements this week.
- 5,935 jobs and 252 companies hiring! Link
📊 $COSS - Public Markets
$COSS markets down 8.61% last week
Latest $COSS markets snapshot below as of market close last Friday courtesy of Koyfin.