COSS Weekly, Issue #30 🎉: May 23rd, 2021
Here's the thirtieth issue of COSS Weekly, the global commercial open source (COSS) company category newsletter, brought to you every Sunday afternoon (Pacific Time) by the team at OSS Capital, creators and stewards of COSS Community and Open Core Summit.
We deliver only the most fresh 😋 news from the previous week in COSS: Funding, Content, Liquidity and $COSS Public Markets.
Last week we witnessed FOUR major new funding announcements (Coiled, Styra, Ester and Superconductive), Unfolded's acquisition by Foursquare less than a year after founding and finally the SUSE IPO! Public $COSS markets recovered by 6.2%~ overall with big 10%+ jumps for JFrog, Elastic, Mongo, Fastly and Qt. 📈
Also, this marks the first week in history that COSS companies have raised > $4B in aggregate VC funding (based on our proprietary data) in a single year, and we still have 6 months to go in 2021! 🔥
💰 COSS Funding: $112M
- Coiled, the company behind Dask (a parallel Python ML computing library), announced their $21M Series A led by BVP. Link
- Superconductive, the company behind Great Expectations (a leading data quality tool), announced their $21M Series A led by Index. Link
- Esper, a company focused on delivering DevOps tools focused on Android devices, founded by some of the same team behind an early COSS Android company Cyanogen, announced their $30M Series B led by Scale VP. Link
- Styra, the company behind OPA (open policy agent), announced their $40M Series B led by Battery. Link
📚 COSS Content
- Shannon Williams, co-founder of Rancher Labs (acquired by SUSE last year) joined the EnterpriseReady podcast run by the folks at Replicated. Link 🎙️
- Google CEO Sundar Pichai was interviewed by Ben Thompson on Stratechery and discussed a number of open source related aspects of Google's business. Link ✍️
- Benoit Dageville, co-founder of Snowflake, wrote about his views on open source. Link 🤔
- Kevin Xu joined GitHub to drive international expansion! Link 🗺️
- Priyanka Sharma, superstar head of the CNCF, joined Yahoo! Finance to discuss diversity and open source. Link 📺
💸 COSS Liquidity (M&A + IPOs)
- Foursqaure acquired Unfolded, a startup which aimed to commercialize a few key open source geo-spacial technologies built at Uber, less than 6 months after Unfolded announced their $6M Seed in January. The purchase price was undisclosed. Link
- SUSE went public on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange with a $6B~ valuation. CEO Melissa Di Donato joined CNBC to share the news. Link
📊 $COSS - Public Markets:
- We forgot to mention last week that $COSS now also includes $WANSF, an early Hadoop company. This brings the total number of public COSS companies to 11! SUSE is not yet showing up in Koyfin.
- Latest $COSS snapshot below as of market close on May 21st, 2021 courtesy of Koyfin: