Here's the one-hundred twenty third issue of COSS Weekly, the global commercial open source (COSS) company category newsletter, brought to you every weekend by the team at OSS Capital, creators and stewards of COSS Community and Open Core Summit.
We deliver only the most fresh 😋 news from the previous week in COSS across: Funding, Content, Jobs, Liquidity and $COSS (Public Markets).
Last week saw the 30th Anniversary of Red Hat!!, plus $77.6M in funding announcements from Mozilla.ai, Dragonfly, Vue Storefront, and Dylibso, leaderboards for the top COSS projects and funders, AI releases, and more!
Make sure to check out the special video made in honor of 30 years of Red Hat, featuring 23 open-source founders, and enjoy!
💰 COSS Funding: $77.6M
- Mozilla.ai, a startup focused on building trustworthy AI, announced their $30M seed led by the Mozilla Foundation. Link
- Dragonfly, the most performant memory-store for cloud, announced their $21M funding led by Redpoint and Patient Capital. Link
- Vue Storefront, a headless commerce frontend for storefronts, announced their $20M round led by Felix Capital. Link
- Dylibso, helping teams bring WebAssembly to production, announced their $6.6M Seed led by Felicis. Link
- Marc Seitz: "2022 was a great year for open-source software. Here are the investors that invested big: 💵💵💵💵💵💵 @OSSCapital 💵💵💵 @insightpartners 💵💵 @468Capital 💵💵 @seedcamp 💵💵 @AmplifyPartners Angels like @rauchg, @tobi, @superguenter are omnipresent. https://t.co/zCTIsifKGf" Link
📚 COSS Content
Matt Mullenweg: "Really interesting thread, especially the point that this increases the demand for software with the Four Freedoms, aka GPL licensed and similarly free open source. https://t.co/A3sL2F64B7" Link
Open Source Startup Podcast🎙: "Check out the latest Open Source Startup Podcast featuring @JustinBorgman, CEO of analytics co @starburstdata🎙 @amanda_robs & @tnachen dig into building around SQL query engine @trinodb (prev PrestoSQL), finding PMF, competing on your own turf & more💪 https://t.co/tL41rmtJah" Link
Emad: "After changing any https://t.co/tyUrK6BCeX links across @LinkedIn to malware site warnings & messing the formatting of job ads, the @StabilityAI LinkedIn presence has been fully erased and deplatformed. I am sure there is a completely reasonable reason. What do you think? 🤔 https://t.co/UtbBMAzVZX https://t.co/dH47VRUzLJ" Link
JJ: "Only one thing can keep you from being obviated by AI: Thinking from first principles." Link
Draw Things: "1.20230318.0 now is dropped in iOS / macOS AppStore (https://t.co/QxbmAfhPjx). This version added long-waited LoRA models support. You can use multiple LoRAs, importing new LoRA models. You can even enable CoreML with LoRA to speed up the generation. https://t.co/giOIKNlklJ" Link
OpenBB 🦋: "As the Federal Open Market Committee convenes today, expectations abound as to what changes will be made to fed interest rates and how different markets, including crypto, will react. The #OpenBB SDK provides a front-row seat to these economic events. Try it out today! https://t.co/6BX1kXyk0I" Link
Sai Senthilkumar: "(1/12) In this post of Cloud Infrastructure, I'm joined by my partners @jasoncwarner and @sraney in introducing the Redpoint Open-source Index. We're also excited to debut a publicly available dashboard. Post: https://t.co/ilj43kpwV2 Dashboard: https://t.co/ObwpwoXFTk" Link
Jim Fan: "OpenAI just announced ChatGPT Plugins. If ChatGPT's debut was the "iPhone event", today is the "iOS App Store" event. 3 official plugins available now: - Web browser: adding Bing in the loop - Code interpreter: adding a live Python interpreter in a https://t.co/Af5HT6kdpR... https://t.co/pCi0jiQykX https://t.co/z9rkxkPNBt" Link
Elon Musk: "As part of their investment, Microsoft gained exclusive access to the entire OpenAI codebase" Link
JJ: "HUGE privilege to know these two legends --- creators of @godotengine 🤖 🔥 First lines of code written in Argentina some 15 years ago... open source a decade ago. Now transforming gaming. Thank you to @reduzio & Ariel Manzur (founder of @RamatakInc) for being amazing. 🙇🏻♂️🙇🏻♂️🙇🏻♂️ https://t.co/ZKA1pc2LXb" Link
JJ: "Very special announcement tomorrow mid-day ... ❤️" Link\
Naval: "Aligning AI is impossible because aligning the humans building AI is impossible." Link\
JJ: "Today we celebrate and honor exactly three decades since the founding incorporation of @RedHat by @CaretakerBob. 🙇🏽♂️ Here's a special video tribute from 23 amazing open source founders of @AcornLabs, @AppFlowy, @Automattic, @Calcom, @Cloudera, @CockroachDB, @Coinbase, @CrabNebulaDev, @GitHub, @GitLab, @HashiCorp, @Hoppscotch_io, @MySQL, @NocoDB, @OpenBB_Finance, @OSSCapital, @official_PHP, @RocketChat, @Supabase, @Talend, VA Linux, @W4Games and @WasmerIO ✨" Link
💸 COSS Liquidity (M&A + IPOs)
- JJ: "Red Hat's IPO reached a $3.5B valuation on their first day of trading on the NASDAQ as $RHAT on August 12th, 1999. Going public on $10M in revenue would be impossible today, but 19 years later that turned out to be a low price. 😉 Here's the S-1: content.edgar-online.com/Ext..." Link
🛠️ COSS Jobs
- 3,866 jobs and 270 companies hiring! Link
📊 $COSS - Public Markets
$COSS markets down 1.28% last week
Latest $COSS markets snapshot below as of market close last Friday courtesy of Koyfin.