Here's the sixty-eighth issue of COSS Weekly, the global commercial open source (COSS) company category newsletter, brought to you every Sunday afternoon (Pacific Time) by the team at OSS Capital, creators and stewards of COSS Community and Open Core Summit.
We deliver only the most fresh 😋 news from the previous week in COSS across: Funding, Content, Jobs, Liquidity and $COSS (Public Markets).
This last week saw $519.5M in COSS funding announcements from dbt Labs, Timescale, Hasura, Redpanda Data, SeMI Technologies, Okteto, Signadot, and BoxyHQ, a new venture fund from MongoDB, content from across the space, and solidarity and support with those in Ukraine.
Enjoy COSS Weekly #68.
- dbt Labs, building tools for the analytics engineering workflow, announced their $222M Series D at $4.2B valuation led by Altimeter. Link
- Timescale, makers of a database for time-series data, announced their $110M Series C at $1B valuation led by Tiger Global. Link
- Hasura, makers of an engine for GraphQL, announced their $100M Series C led by Greenoaks. Link
- Redpanda Data, creating a unified engine of truth for enterprise data, announced their $50M Series B led by GV. Link
- SeMI Technologies, makers of the vector search engine Weaviate, announced their $16M Series A led by NEA. Link
- Okteto, making tooling for pre-configured cloud development environments, announced their $15M Series A led by Two Sigma Ventures. Link
- Signadot, building tools for microservice testing on Kubernetes announced their $4M Seed led by Redpoint. Link
- BoxyHQ, helping startups enable enterprise features in any SaaS app, announced their $2.5M Seed led by OSS Capital. Link
- VentureBeat: "We are living in a period of unprecedented change in data infrastructure, driven by mega trends of digital transformation, cloud, mobile, and edge computing." Read more from @psawers on the new @mongodb venture fund: https://t.co/lP1P5rxQjw. Link
Cal.com: "10,000 Stars ⭐️ 1,000 Forks 🍴 100 Contributors 👩💻 10 months old 📅 1 mission to connect a billion people 🚀 Thank you all! 🎉 Join https://t.co/RyMp9Q5BwD and make history with us https://t.co/0SCZMprVva" Link
Joseph Jacks (JJ) 🇺🇦✊🏼❤️: "Closed source software generates scarcity. Open source software generates abundance. It is paradoxical that blockchains generate monetary scarcity." Link
david friedberg: "the greatest source of value & wealth creation in the 22nd century could be driven by terrestrial nucleosynthesis..." Link
Joseph Jacks (JJ) 🇺🇦✊🏼❤️: "Who's building the open core, decentralized replacement of OpenSea?" Link
Joseph Jacks (JJ) 🇺🇦✊🏼❤️: "During a webinar for open source founders earlier today (thanks @BSchech!), my friend @edsim emphasized the importance of doing user interviews to reveal and understand WHY your project is adding value and HOW it is doing so... 🧵" Link
Joseph Jacks (JJ) 🇺🇦✊🏼❤️: "There are only two humans in history who have created multiple $50B+ companies. And they both love geeking out about programming language features. 🤓 // @rustlang https://t.co/Nh93Ogvlih" Link
Alyssa X: "Save all your apps for later with just one click 🖱️ Later is a Mac menu bar app that clears and restores your workspace 💻 Switch off from work, tidy up your desktop before a meeting, save battery, schedule apps for later, and more. 👉 https://t.co/mV8ma90EtB https://t.co/LnVkaCNxyS" Link
peerrich.eth 🗓🍊: "i've been sick to my stomach. i feel helpless. we have employees in eastern Europe. we have to help we're offering full free access to the entire enterprise suite and free engineering support for Non-Profits helping Ukraine 🇺🇦 #WeStandWithUkraine https://t.co/OmANRiffZS" Link
Forem: "Forem stands in solidarity with those immediately and emotionally affected by the unfolding crisis in Ukraine. There's nothing we can say to fix this fear and grief, but we can make space in our communities to encourage self-care and togetherness wherever possible. 💙 💛" Link
Joseph Jacks (JJ) 🇺🇦✊🏼❤️: "Open Source is "eating" 👇🏼 ~1995-2015: Infrastructure Software ~2015-2030: Application Software ~2030-2040: Consumer Software" Link
Joseph Jacks (JJ) 🇺🇦✊🏼❤️: "Great thread on why open core commerce platforms (@PrestaShop, @getsaleor, @odoo, @medusajs, etc) will redefine the Shopify-dominated playing field ... 🔥 https://t.co/4TlllvParY" Link
- Joseph Jacks (JJ) 🇺🇦✊🏼❤️: "Meanwhile, @qtproject co $QTCOM (COSS embedded GUI platform) held a $2.5B~ val on $150M ARR at a lower 30% ~ growth rate! Why? Biggest difference: since 2020, posting 16%~ net profit margins consistently. Want to maintain high multiples in these times of carnage? Get profitable! https://t.co/jlTliJUeDH" Link
Cal.com: "Why work for cal? - async work philosophy - wip (work in pajamas) - 30 days minimum forced PTO per year - remote nomad stipend - option to get paid in crypto I mean come on, it's a literal dream 💭 https://t.co/cLcTocDKOV" Link
$COSS markets up 2.21% last week
Latest $COSS markets snapshot below as of market close last Friday courtesy of Koyfin.